It is situated at the bottom of the Peter`s field, at the beginning of the narrow canyon of the River Čikola. As a centre of wide rural surroundings, it has an important social function (fairs, trade road for Bosnia). Its wider surrounding, the River Krka – Roški Slap (Roški Waterfall) and Visovac attract many curious people, nature lovers and pilgrims visiting Gospa Visovačka (Our Lady of Visovac). Drniš is famous for its quality wines and pršut (smoked ham). Every fifth day in a month there is a fair in Drniš which is a great tourist attraction. Because of the war, hunting areas are not available. An excursion to the peaks of Promina is also very attractive (Drniš railway - mountain home - Čanovka, 2h 30min).
Drniš is a town in the Dalmatian hinterland (the so called Zagora), in the western part of the Peter`s field, between Promina and Moseć mountains (Drniška vrata – the Door of Drniš), along the river Čikola and 32 km north-east of Šibenik. It is 304 m above sea level. The economic base is represented by agriculture, wine-growing and construction industry. Drniš is situated on the intersection of Knin-Šibenik and Benkovac-Muć-Šibenik roads and on the railway Zagreb-Knin-Split. It is mentioned for the first time (sub Darnis) in 1494 which proves the fact that in the Middle Ages there was a town (fortress) and a suburb (parish). During the period of Turkish dominance numerous buildings were built as it was shown in the Corelli`s picture (polygon fortress, big mosque). In 1648 the Venetian General Foscolo destroyed most of the town. Only parts of the fortress and the minaret by the church of St. Rock`s were saved, while the big mosque was transformed into the church of St. Ante`s during the baroque period. In the public rooms there are some masterpieces made by Ivan Meštrović (Vrelo života – The Spring of life, Orač – The Ploughman, Majka rodilja – The Child-Bearing Woman) who was buried in the nearby mausoleum in Otavice. The museum of this region also keeps some of his sculptures.